Blood-C Episode 8: Yo no naka yo/よのなかよ(世の中よ)／Within The World
Credits: Clamp and Production I.G.
Summary: We pick up from the last episode where Tokizane Finds Saya after her run-in with the most human-looking “Furukimono/Elder bairns” so far.
Tokizane asks Saya whose blood she is drenched in, and embraces her out of relief when he confirms it is not hers, for the most part. Standing up, Tokizane helps Saya stand, and takes her hand, leading her to a nearby stream where he hands her a handkerchief to wipe some of the blood off. He asks her what happened, to which she declines out of concern for his safety if he should get involved. Tokizane insists and Saya agrees to tell him, if he keeps it a secret.
Dialogue (At the stream):
[Tokizane]What was that? And why are you carrying a katana?
[Tokizane] Please tell me.
[Saya] If you hear about it, and get involved, You’ll be in danger, and I don’t want that.
[Tokizane] Doesn’t that mean you’re in danger, too? That makes me want to know even more.
[Tokizane] You can’t tell?
[Saya] I can’t.
[Tokizane holds her hand. She stares blankly back.]
[Tokizane] I guess the subtle approach isn’t going to work on you.
[Tokizane] You’re Special to me, Saya. So I want you to tell me. Maybe I can do Something.
[Saya] Will you promise me that you won’t tell anyone?
[Saya] Then I’ll tell you…
Next, we see Fumito in his shop, Guimauve, just as Saya’s Dad enters.
[Fumito] Saya-chan ate her breakfast before she went to school.
[Tadayoshi] I see.
[Fumito] But she looked sad. Very Sad.
[Tadayoshi] I see.
[Fumito] She probably thinking that she’s worried you again or something … She loves her father. I guess blood is important.
[Tadayoshi scowls. Fumito turns and walks towards the door at the back of the store.]
[Fumito] Want some coffee?
[Fumito] Very well. Then, you’d prefer something else, right?
Saya tells Tokizane about the furuki-mono and what happened to Nene, Nono and the townspeople. Tokizane notices the pained look on her face and tells her it’s not her fault, putting his hand on her shoulder. She replies that it is her duty to fight against them, that she promised to protect everyone. Her head starts to hurt again, and it worries Tokizane. Noticing this, Saya says she’s ok, and tries her best to smile. Not buying it for a second, he hugs her, telling her “you don’t look fine.”
Saya asks him why he’s been hugging her lately. He asks her if she’s really asking that, and concludes that, yeah, she’s serious. Saya wonders if there’s something wrong with her (She knows he’s troubled, but doesn’t get what he’s troubled about.) and he says it’s not wrong; it’s just the way she is right now a.k.a. clueless.
He tells her he believes her, having seen the monster with his own eyes. Saya subconsciously replies “No.” in a firm tone, and Tokizane turns around, puzzled at her change of tone. Roused back to normal by his voice, Saya excuses herself, and elaborates “Um, it wasn’t a monster. It was an elder bairn.” He notes that it’s an odd distinction to make, and she wonders if it is. He reasons that they’re practically the same thing, and she wonders again, unsure.
Noting that she’d need more than a couple of hander kerchiefs (hers and his) to clean up, he offers to walk her home. She initially refuses but he insists, saying he wants to, and carries her bag for her, which she also initially refuses, and ends up carrying just her katana. Walking back, she tells him he’s really nice.
[Tokizane extends a hand to help her walk up the side of the stream to the pavement.]
[Saya} Thank you. Um, Tokizane-san?
[Saya} You're really nice.
[Tokizane] What are you saying?
[Saya} I wish everyone else understood…How nice you are.
[Tokizane] You’re the only one who needs to know.
[Saya} But that's a waste!
[He sighs, stops walking and turns towards her]
[Tokizane] That’s enough for today, but if anything starts bothering you, tell me.
[Saya} Tell you?
[Tokizane] Because I want to know about you.
[Saya pauses, blank faced, processes his words and then smiles]
[Saya} Thank you!
Saya arrives home, finding her father spread out on the floor, unconscious. Alarmed, she tries to rouse him, and he wakes up after a while, his vision initially blurry. Happy that he's conscious, she fusses over him. Noticing a small blood stain at the corner of his mouth, Saya frets and apologizes, thinking she rubbed off some blood on him, which he denies, telling her to calm down. She asks over and over if he's ok and he reassures her. She smiles and takes a bath.
In the bath, she mulls over her father's health. Scrubbing herself, she rinses off and pulls her hair up into a wrapped ponytail, walking towards and getting into the bathtub. Saya thinks to herself, and worries that her father might be hiding his pain so that she does' t worry. Watanuki (Dog form) appears on the open window sill just she stands up, wrapped in her thoughts, and they just stare at each other. Having had enough of the staring, he asks if she's not going to scream (like any other girl would, EXCEPT Saya). She instead smiles and says "Hi, doggy!" cheerfully. Watanuki sighs.
He asks her if she is still injured, and she tells him that her wounds were mostly gone. Jumping down, Watanuki makes his way to the floor in front of the tub, and asks her what she thinks of her abnormally fast healing. She replies that she's grateful for it, and he sighs. "I guess it was a stupid question" he retorts. He then asks her if she's remembered who she made the promise to defend everyone with.She replies in the negative and he then asks her what she thinks would happen if she broke her promise. It sends her into a headache and she has a flashback.
[ Narrator/Unknown-kun] That’s right. This is an important experiment. If we’re to do it, we’ll need a means to determine the winner and loser. A reward for the victor, and a punishment for the loser. Saya: If you win, what would you like? And if you lose, What could I take, that would be more painful than death? Well, Saya?
Saya almost falls unconscious, and Watanuki yells at her not to, because he can’t carry her in dog form. She regains a little control, and sits down into the tub, panting.
[Watanuki] Don’t fall unconscious now! I can’t carry you in this form!
[Watanuki] But it’s nearly worn off. I don’t think it will be long now.
Hearing her dad asking if she’s ok, Saya confirms she’s fine. Looking back, she notices Watanuki is gone, and goes back to pondering on the last flashback, and the “Reward/punishment”. 3 Days go by. Tadayoshi tells her that school is back in session, and asks her if she will go. She says she will, and it worries her. He asks her if she’s pained by being forced to fight the furuki-mono alone, and she denies it, saying she will defeat them, just like her mother. Her words shock him and he reaches out to her, only to pull back. He tells her to be sure to come back safe. Saya grabs her katana and goes to school. At school, she sees her friends again and a furukimono appears at the school. After witnessing several students be killed, and no escape in sight, Saya unsheathes her sword and charges at the furuki-mono in front of her classmates.
[Saya] I’ll protect everyone! I will not let anyone else die!
Moe Moe Moments/Higlights (IMHO):
- Tokizane’s obvious displays of affection towards the clueless Saya.
- Watanuki catching Saya naked in the bath.
- School starts up again.
- A furukimono appears at school. Saya’s secret is revealed to her classmates.
Thoughts: 9! I really enjoyed this episode. Tokizane proved to be a very endearing character, in my opinion, and it’s refreshing to see a male lead NOT be a jerk. Leave it to CLAMP, eh? A few things were suspicious in this episode:
- Fumito’s suggestion to Tadayoshi that he have something other than coffee. This being the blood series, and after seeing the scene where Tadayoshi is on the floor and has blood on the corner of his mouth, the show is practically screaming that he’s a vampire/chiropteran, and by Saya’s almost demonic behavior at the end of episode 7, we can assume that they’re really backing up the theory that Saya is a vampire as well. Also, the subconscious denying that Elder Bairns = Monsters in this episode makes Saya seem even more capable of being one of them. Personally, I enjoy the idea of Saya being an experiment of some sort, seeing as how she’s inhumanly ditzy. Question is, are they the same as the Elder Bairns? Or are Saya and Tadayoshi “pure blood” like in the other Blood incarnations? Well, no matter what they are, it’s clear even Tadayoshi is not a normal human, that’s for sure.
- The dog is definitely Watanuki. This is CLAMP- They breathe crossovers. The facts are undeniable. What I find exciting (not so much suspicious) is Watanuki’s conclusion that whatever barrier Saya has in the way of recovering her memories is almost gone. WHOOT, we can finally get some answers, damn it! Also, seeing as how Saya resembles Himawari-chan a bit, I was really hoping for more than just unabashed staring. IS it so wrong that I want Watanuki to meet Saya in human form? Alas, the woes of shipping.
- Judging from the next episode preview, Saya’s in deep shit. Her classmates now know she’s a badass and can fight Elder Bairns (didn’t use the word “monster”, because it might offend Saya…LMAO) And there is where my last point/thought is: We can really make a comparison now: Tokizane found Saya in a pool of blood, drenched in it, and with a dead (split in half) monster lying dead in front of her, and what did he do? He worried about her, hugged her, helped her clean up, but most of all, he accepted her. Judging by his words, Next week’s Tomofusa-Iinchou does not give her the same consideration, despite the fact that he can see how she got blood-drenached, and can clearly see WHY she’s doing what she does, and he and the rest of them KNOW she’s doing it for them, so asking her “what she is” is extremely rude, hurtful and indicative of, despite his claims to like her, that he is not so accepting of Saya.